ARISE & LET US BUILD
· Acknowledgement & Prayer
· Introduction: Purpose of the Harvest
Background to the Passage (Haggai 1 & 2)
· The Jews had been sent to exile and began returning to the land
· Solomon’s Temple had been destroyed
· A new temple was needed since it was at the center of their worship to God
The Message of God (From Prophet Haggai to Governor Zerubbabel)
· The people claimed that the time was not due for the temple to be built. They were waiting for the most perfect time (Haggai 1:2). Is there a perfect time for anything?
· He asked them to pause and reflect on these (Haggai 1:6)
o Planted much grain, but have harvested very little.
o They had food to eat, but not enough to make them full.
o They had wine to drink, but not enough to get drunk on!
o They had clothing, but not enough to keep you warm.
o And workers cannot earn enough to live on.
o The heavens had been shut and the earth made barren (Haggai 1:9 – 11).
The Response of the People
· The people obeyed and rebuilt the temple. (Haggai 1:12). Its glory even surpassed that of Solomon’s temple (Haggai 2:9)
· God is also interested to know how we build our spiritual lives. God first in all
CONCLUSION (Why Do We Have to Give today)
1. The Time to build is NOW! (Ecclesiastes 11: 4)
2. We are partners together with God (1st Corinthians 3:9 -10)
3. We are co-heirs together with Christ (Romans 8:17). Whatever He has is ours, also whatever we have is His.
4. Because of the Glory of God.
5. It’s of no use to us if God has to draw our attention through misfortunes (Haggai 1:9 – 11).