MEANINGFUL QUIET TIME
What is a daily quiet time?
· Habitual period of time devoted to spend alone with God through Bible reading, meditation, singing and prayer
· Quieting of the heart to have a one-on-one conversation with God
· Time for stillness and allowing Him to breathe His truth into your heart
· Time to share your burdens, concerns and anxieties (Proverbs 3:5-7; Psalm 37:5-7)
· Time to express your love and thanksgiving to your Father
· Singing of psalms, hymns and spiritual songs (Psalms 96:1, Col 3:16; Eph 5:19)
Why is a daily quiet time necessary?
· God desires a personal relationship with each believer
· In that quietness, we derive strength from God (Isaiah 30:15)
· In that quiet state, He gives inspiration and direction (Pro 3:6; Psa 25:4-5, Isa 30:21)
· Fellowship with other believers and Learning from mentors can never replace it
How long should I do my quiet time?
· Do not set a time limit, just set aside time, cut off unnecessary stuff that waste time
· Instead of a loving relationship, it becomes a task/burden
Where should a quiet time be done?
· Any place void of distractions
· A place where you will not be guilty of misappropriation of time
When should a quiet time be done?
· Anytime of the day, but such that you are at rest in yourself
· A time when you will not be distracted by the cares/pressures of this world
· Traditionally, most Christians prescribe early morning (Psa 5:3; 59:16; 57:7,8)
What does it entail?
· Consists of two main parts; speaking and listening
· Speaking: Voicing out our thankfulness, praise, joys (1 Thessalonians 5:16-18)
· Speaking: Voicing out our cares and frustrations (1 Peter 5:7)
· Speaking: Jesus’ Model of Prayer (Matthew 6:9-13)
· Every spiritual guidance or conviction will line up with God’s Word
What tools are required?
· A Study Bible, A devotional guide or a personal topical guide
· Study Aids (Concordances, Dictionaries, Commentaries)
What pitfalls should be avoided?
· Over-reliance on study aids to the neglect of study of the Bible
· Doing quiet time just to appease your conscience