TEACHING ON FORGIVENESS BY JESUS CHRIST
What is Forgiveness?
Why should we forgive?
· Natural response to what God has already done for us (Eph 4:32- 5:2)
· We forgive so that God will also forgive us (Matt 6:14-15/Mark 11:25/Luke 6:37)
What does it mean to forgive 70x7?
· Be willing and actually do forgive no matter how many times that you are offended
What if someone wrongs me up to the 491st time?
· For the fact that you have been counting, you have not yet matured in your Christian walk and love. LOVE keeps no record of sins
When do I know that I have forgiven someone?
· When we strive against all thoughts of revenge; when we will not do our enemies mischief, but wish well to them, grieve at their calamities, pray for them, seek reconciliation with them, and show ourselves ready on all occasions to relieve them. (Thomas Watson, Body of Divinity, p. 581)
Resist thoughts of revenge: Romans 12:19, "Never take your own revenge, beloved, but leave room for the wrath of God, for it is written, 'Vengeance is Mine, I will repay,' says the Lord."
Don't seek to do them mischief: 1 Thessalonians 5:15, "See that no one repays another with evil for evil.
Wish well to them: Luke 6:28, "Bless those who curse you."
Grieve at their calamities: Proverbs 24:17, "Do not rejoice when your enemy falls, and do not let your heart be glad when he stumbles."
Pray for them: Matthew 5:44, "But I say to you, love your enemies, and pray for those who persecute you."
Seek reconciliation with them: Romans 12:18, "If possible, so far as it depends on you, be at peace with all men."
Be always willing to come to their relief: Exodus 23:4, "If you meet your enemy's ox or his donkey wandering away, you shall surely return it to him."
Should a person show repentance before we forgive him?
· YES, Luke 17:3 – 4
· NO, God’s forgiveness for us is unconditional
Discuss what it mean to forgive from the heart? (Matthew 18:35)