(1 Peter 5:1 – 4; Psalm 23; John 10:1 - 16)
Why does Peter refer to Jesus as our Chief Shepherd?
· He performs the role of shepherds, but in a dignified and complete manner. Compare to His titles “LORD of Lords” and “KING of Kings”. Could also be Chief Keeper, Prince of Pastors
· We are the sheep of His pasture (Psalm 100:3)
· A prophecy concerning his birth was likened to a Shepherd (Micah 5:1-5)
· The limitations and wickedness of human shepherds caused God to seek out His own as a Shepherd (Ezekiel 34:11)
Portrait of a Wicked Shepherd? (Ezekiel 34:1 – 11)
· He does not feed the flock (vs 2 – 3)
· He does not heal the sick, care for the wounded nor strengthen the weak (vs 2 – 3)
· He does not bring those who have wandered astray or search for the lost (vs 4 – 6)
· They care only about themselves, but not the sheep (vs 2 – 3)
Cell Group Discussion (Three Pictures of the Lord as Our Shepherd)
A. David’s Portrait of the Good Shepherd? (Psalm 23)
· Provision - I shall not want
· Comfort - He makes me lie down in green pastures
· Nurturing - He restores my soul
· Guide - He leads me beside the still waters
· Leadership - He leads me in the path of righteousness
· Direction - The staff
· Discipline - The rod
· Nourishment - Feast in the presence of enemies
· Care/Healing - You anoint my hair with oil
B. Ezekiel’s Portrait of a Good Shepherd (Ezekiel 34:12 – 24)
· He seeks out His sheep which are lost (vs 12)
· He feeds them (vs 13 – 15)
· He causes them to rest (vs 14 – 15)
· He binds up the broken and strengthens the weak (vs 16)
· A “prophetic David” will become their shepherd (vs 23 – 24)
· King David was dead and buried during Ezekiel’s time. Who is this one?
C. John’s Portrait of a Good Shepherd (John 10)
· He knows them by name (vs 3)
· He brings them out and leads them (vs 3, 4)
· He is the gate through which they pass into eternal life
· He brings life (ZOE) to His sheep (vs 10)
· The sheep also knows Him (vs 14)
· He is willing to die for His sheep (vs 14)
· He knows that there are sheep who are still outside the sheepfold (vs 16)
Conclusion (For Corporate Discussion)
· Do we see Jesus as a Shepherd?
· In the light of the above, as sheep of His pasture, how are we going to live?
· Will the knowledge learnt today affect any areas of our lives?
· Which specific aspects of our lives?