THE DISOBEDIENT EVANGELIST
“Oh my friends, we are loaded down with countless church activities, while the real work of the church, that of evangelizing and winning the lost is almost entirely neglected”
Oswald J. Smith
· Appraisal of evangelistic activities for the year
· Commendation for Evangelism team and other individuals
What Is The Role Of Obedience In Evangelism?
· The message gets to the intended recipients.
o Philip’s obedience and the salvation of the Ethiopian Eunuch
o Peter’s obedience and the salvation of Cornelius & his household
o Paul’s obedience to the Macedonian call and ripple effects of salvation
§ Lydia, the Philippian jailor, Thessalonica, Corinth etc
· People give glory to God on our behalfs
· The Lamb of God that was slain receives the reward of His suffering
How Is This Obedience Supposed To Be Manifested? (Eze. 3:18-21; Jud 21-24)
· God has designated us as His watchmen, fire officers or swimming life guards
o As a lifeguard, sound the alarm when they cross the red line.
o As a watchman, warn them of impending danger on their lives.
o As a fire officer, rescue them from the fire.
What Are The Consequences Of Disobedience In Evangelism?
· God will require the blood of sinners from our hands (Eze 3:18)
· The Divine Hand of God will push us to do it (Acts 8:1, Jon 1:7)
· God always has substitutes on His bench
How Did God Intervene When His People Disobeyed
· The Story of Jonah (Jon 1:7-17)
o God gives second chances
o God’s salvation is not restricted to any select group. Available to all
o God’s mercy for Nineveh vs Jonah’s mercy for the plant (Jon 4:5-11)
o God’s destruction of the plant vs Jonah’s wish for the destruction of Nineveh
o Like Jonah, do we not value the temporary blessings that God brings our way to comfort us, yet we wish evil for the people who we perceive as enemies
· The First Persecution of the Church (Acts 1:8; 8:1)
What Happened When Others Disobeyed?
· Some parts of North Africa and Asia were known to be the seats of Christianity
What Would Have Happened If Others Broke The Chain Of Obedience?
· The message would never have come to Africa
So What Should We Do?
· Show Video And Discuss
· That God will reignite the fire of passion in our hearts
· That God will send more workers to the field
· Grace to demonstrate our obedience
· God will open the hearts of people and subdue minds which exalt themselves against the knowledge of Christ (2 Cor 4:3-4;10:4,5)